How to fold a sweater correctly
Folding a sweater correctly is a simple skill that can significantly extend the life and appearance of your clothing. Proper folding ensures your sweater remains free of wrinkles and maintains its shape. Let’s take a look at three step-by-step processes to help you fold your sweaters with ease.
Traditional folding technique
1. Lay the sweater on a clean surface, front facing down. Smooth out any wrinkles or creases.
2. Begin by folding the sleeves inwards across the back of the sweater, forming a 45-degree angle with each sleeve.
3. Fold one sleeve across the back and then the other, ensuring they meet in the centre.
4. Finish by folding upwards in thirds (taking the bottom corners of the sweater and bringing them up one-third of the way).
The Kon Mari method
Developed by Marie Kondo, this technique is great for chunky knitwear such as mens Aran cardigans from stockists such as Shop Aran.
1. Lay your sweater flat on a clean surface with the front facing down.
2. Fold one side of the sweater towards the centre, ensuring the sleeve is lying flat against the body of the sweater.
3. Repeat with the other side to form a long rectangle.
4. Fold the bottom of the sweater up, leaving a small gap.
5. Fold the top of the sweater down to meet the bottom, creating a smaller rectangle. The goal is to create a compact rectangle that can be stored upright in a drawer or on a shelf.
The roll method
1. Lay your sweater facing down on a clean, flat surface. Fold one sleeve toward the centre, stopping at the shoulder seam.
2. Repeat with the other sleeve.
3. Starting at the bottom of the sweater, tightly roll it up toward the neckline. You can either leave the collar of the sweater flat or tuck it inside the roll.
By choosing one of these methods and following the steps outlined, you will have wrinkle-free sweaters. Taking a few extra moments to fold your sweater correctly will mean you can enjoy your knitwear for many years to come.